Wireless Devices: Risk, Regulation, Compliance and Liability
Wednesday, 14 October 2015 | Cost: $440
Sorry, registration for this event is now closed.
Chair: Mr Robyn WILLIAMS AM, Broadcaster, ABC Science Unit
Topic 1 Regulation of Non-ionising Radiation: Issues and Terminology
Speaker Mr PAUL WENTWORTH, Lawyer, Course Convenor UNSW Law
• Recent Appeal to the UN and WHO from 200 scientists from 39 countries Professor Martin Blank Columbia University New York. video.
• EMR, what is it?
• What is non-ionising radiation?
• Regulatory Framework
Topic 2 Children’s and workers’ exposure to radiofrequencies: international approaches to policy and advice
Speaker DR MARY REDMAYNE, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Centre for Population Health Research on Electromagnetic Energy, Monash University
• what approaches are taken internationally regarding radio frequency exposure?
• what are ‘health’effects and why do international standards differ?
• can existing policy guidelines accommodate non-thermal effects?
• how can children’s exposure be limited?
Topic 3 EMR Biological and Health Effects: Summary of Some Key Findings
Speaker DR PRIYANKA BANDARA, Molecular Biologist, Member of Advisory Board of Environmental Health Trust USA, Doctors for Safer Schools.
• epidemiological research, whole animal mand cell culture experiments
• cellular research with particular reference to damage to DNA, cell membranes, blood brain barrier and sperm
• biochemical research with reference to oxidative stress
• neurobehavioural and cognitive research
Topic 4 Immunologist’s View of the Risk to Human Body when exposed to new levels of EMR
Speaker Associate Professor RAY KEARNEY OAM Immunologist, Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Department of Medicine, University of Sydney
• new environmental conditions
• melatonin and where it is found (is it in all living matter)
• biological functions of melatonin
• how is melatonin production affected by exposure to EMR frequencies?
10.40am Morning tea
Topic 5 Potential Legal Issues for Employers
Speakers JENNE TZAVARAS, Partner, HWL Ebsworth Lawyers and DAVID ANDERSEN, Partner, HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
• Risks for employers-Workers Compensation and Common Law
• Risks for occupiers
• Causation issues
• Due diligence obligations-managing risk
Topic 6 Case Study
The panel will consider the issues raised earlier in the morning in the context of a case study concerning the use of a wifi network in a school and the affect it has on a student who has Electro-Hypersensitivity Syndrome (EHS).
MS JENNE TZAVARAS and
MR DAVID ANDERSEN
MR PAUL WENTWORTH
PROFESSOR RAY KEARNEY
MR JOHN LINCOLN
DR PRIYANKA BANDARA
DR MARY REDMAYNE
12.50 pm Comments by ROBYN WILLIAMS
UNSW CBD Campus
Level 6, 1 O’Connell St
Sydney NSW 2000